MRL Upcoming Special Events
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: SEPTEMBER 13, 2011
Contact: Cheryl Griffith, Community Relations Manager 540.434.4475 ext. 121 or firstname.lastname@example.org
MRL Upcoming Special Events
Massanutten Regional Library is offering a wide diversity of FREE quality programs this fall:
- Concerned about what your children are researching on the internet? Parents can eat and learn while MRL, in conjunction with Rockingham County Schools and Harrisonburg City Schools, conducts a PARENTING CYBER SAFETY PROGRAM at the Main Branch on Wednesday, September 28, from 6-7:15 pm. Registration is required for this program and MRL is providing children’s story time for registrants’ children. Panera Bread is providing dinner. Call 540.434.4475, ext. 107 for registration. Space is limited.
- The first program of the annual Deyerle Program Series will focus on Lucy Simms, a local educator and her school. Local historian Dale MacAllister will present his research and findings at this event to be held at Main beginning at 7 pm on Thursday, October 6.
- In celebration of the Civil War Sesquicentennial Anniversary, Arthur Candenquist presents “Confederates Gather Steam,” a first-person narrative of a Confederate soldier in battle. Candenquist will arrive in authentic Confederate uniform at the Main Branch on Thursday, Oct. 13, 7 pm, in the second lecture of the Deyerle Program Series.
- Virginia Quilt Museum Director Judith Shuey will provide an entertaining evening on Thursday, Oct. 20 with her presentation of “Hard Times, Soft Quilts.” The lecture and exhibit will focus on Depression era quilts and their stories with the continuing October Deyerle Program Series.
- The last presentation in the Deyerle Program Series will feature Chris Bolgiano with her book Southern Appalachian Celebration. Bolgiano will focus her lecture around a pictorial journey of Appalachia.
- Young and old alike share their “chess” expertise every first and third Thursday at 6 pm in the Main Branch. Come out and join the Chess Knight Club.
In the Youth Services Department of Massanutten Regional Library, the @Your Library series continues at the Main Branch with special guests sharing their unique expertise with activities geared for children of all ages.
- Rock on…@Your Library provides interactive learning stations with fossils, crystals, and rocks. This event, to be held Saturday, Sept. 17, at 2 pm, is being presented by the James Madison University Geology Club. The event will take place at the Main Branch of MRL.
- Ready to learn how to improve your Frisbee-throwing skills? Then check out The Frisbee Guy @Your Library. World Champion Gary Auerbach will be featured at Main Branch on Saturday, Oct. 8 at 2 pm. Auerbach will share his tricks, skills, and stories about his life with Frisbees. Auerbach will also provide a free autograph and photo session.
- Various Massanutten Regional Library branches will feature New Hampshire Hampstead Stage Company’s production of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Page Public Library will host the event on Saturday, November 12, at 10 am at 100 Zerkel Ave. in Luray. Main Branch of MRL will host the group at 2 pm on Saturday, November 12. North River Branch in Bridgewater has chosen John Wayland Elementary to host the C.S. Lewis classic on Sunday, November 13, beginning at 3 pm., and Grottoes Branch will feature the play on Monday afternoon, November 14, beginning at 4 pm at its site at 601 Dogwood Avenue in Grottoes.
- The Youth Services Division continues to offer Book Blasters @Your Library at various branches. This program offers books, crafts, and fun for kids in grades K-5. Check the children's story time schedule or your local participating branch for details.