Full-time Reference Librarian at Central Library (Harrisonburg)
Massanutten Regional Library (MRL) is seeking a full-time employee to fill the position of Reference Librarian at the Central Library in Harrisonburg, VA. This position is a regular full-time non-exempt employee, working under the direction of the Head of Reference. The regular schedule for this position is 8:30 am – 5 pm four days per week and one 12:00 pm – 8:30 pm day per week (tentatively Tuesday) and every fourth Saturday 8:30 am – 5 pm. The week with a Saturday rotation has Friday off.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provides information services to customers of all ages with an emphasis on services to adults.
- Develops, plans, and conducts a variety of library programs and outreach for adults.
- Assists in management of the collection, including weeding and input into collection development.
- Communicates and interprets library policies and procedures to the public.
- Serves as the staff member in charge during select hours.
- Assists and instructs patrons in the use of library services and resources.
- Conducts library tours for adult groups.
- Works at a public service desk.
- Promotes and represents the library before outside groups.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned to further the goals and objectives of MRL.
Master’s degree in library science from an ALA accredited post-secondary institution or acceptable equivalent.
- Knowledge of standard reference resources.
- Thorough knowledge of library materials in several broad subject areas.
- Skills in standard reference and research procedures and thorough knowledge of on-line search strategies and resources.
- Knowledge of the principles and experience in the practices of public library functions.
- Knowledge of the principles of library management, including collection development, planning, coordination, personnel management, and budgeting.
- Knowledge of basic computer functions; aptitude for learning, maintaining, and explaining the operations of the Sirsi circulation/cataloging system and operation of the library's public Internet service.
- Working skill in the use of library facilities and resources; basic skill in cataloging and preparing bibliographies.
- Ability to select appropriate reading materials for patrons of varying reading skill levels and interests.
- Ability to instruct and train non-professional library staff in library methods and procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Ability to interpret library resources and services to the public and to the general community.
- Ability to supervise and direct reference volunteers and work-study students.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish is a plus.
The physical demands for this position include the ability to operate a wide variety of office/technology equipment, the ability to lift up to 50 pounds occasionally, and to push/pull loaded library carts frequently.
Massanutten Regional Library operates as a private nonprofit regional library system. We have seven library branches that serve the City of Harrisonburg and Page and Rockingham Counties. Please visit mrlib.org for more information. We offer health, dental & vision coverage (with 65% of the premium paid by the employer), 9 paid holidays and 2 personal days per year, accrual of 12 days of vacation leave per year, additional sick leave, participation in the Virginia Retirement System, and parking.
Salary range available upon request.
Download an application. Completed applications, plus cover letter and resume may be mailed to Lesley Perkins, 174 S. Main Street, Harrisonburg, VA 22801 or e-mailed to email@example.com. Position open until filled.