How do I donate materials to the library?
Consider donating gently used items to the library! Once donated, library staff diligently looks through all materials and makes decisions to add items to our collection or passes them on to be added to our bookstores or sales.
MRL’s collections are intended to meet the life-long informational, educational and recreational needs of the citizens of Page and Rockingham Counties and the City of Harrisonburg. The scope of the collection is sufficiently broad to offer a choice of format, treatment, and level of difficulty so that the library needs of most individuals can be met. The collection, with the exception of the Genealogy/Local History collection, is not intended to be archival or for deep research; it is reviewed and revised on a continuous basis to meet contemporary, on-going needs.
MRL encourages and accepts gifts with the understanding that all gifts of materials become the property of the library whether or not they are added to the collection. Gifts added to the collection are handled according to the same guidelines as any other materials belonging to the library: if added they are available to all library patrons; they may be housed at any branch in the system and they may be withdrawn in accordance with the library’s weeding guidelines. Materials donated to MRL should be reviewed according to the same criteria for adding new material. Materials not chosen for the library collection are disposed of to the library’s best advantage, such as the Friends of the Library’s book sales.
Check out the full text, including selection guidelines, of the Collection Development Policy.
We appreciate you considering Massanutten Regional Library as a site for your donation. Please see the guidelines below to make your donation process easier.
- Donations must be in containers (either bags or boxes)
- Containers should not weigh over 25 lbs. If you can’t lift it we can’t lift it.
- Donations must be given to a staff member, not left unattended outside doors.
- If you need a donation receipt for tax purposes, please count the number of items being donated and estimate overall cash value before bringing donations. MRL will provide you with a gift receipt for tax purposes.
- Donations at the Central branch are accepted from 9:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and noon to 4 pm on Friday. Please be aware that staffing is lighter in evenings and weekends so donations are accepted only with an appointment.
- Donated items must be in good condition. We cannot take wet, moldy, falling apart or otherwise damaged items. We also cannot take textbooks over 5 years old.