How do I donate materials to the library?
MRL gladly accepts donations of gently used books and DVD at all seven branch locations. MRL staff adds donated items which meet our Collection Development Policy and items which are not added are sold in our branch bookstores and regular book sales to benefit MRL's nonprofit mission.
Please follow these guidelines below to make your donation:
- Donated items must be in good condition. We cannot accept wet, moldy, torn, or otherwise damaged items.
- MRL does not accept textbooks that are over five years old.
- Donations must be in containers (either bags or boxes).
- Containers should not weigh over 25 lbs.
- Donations must be given to a staff member and not left unattended outside doors.
- If you need a donation receipt for tax purposes, please count the number of items being donated and estimate overall cash value before bringing donations. MRL will provide you with a gift receipt for tax purposes.
- Donations may be brought to any MRL branch during normal operating house. Donation for the Central Library in downtown Harrisonburg are accepted from 9:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and noon to 4 pm on Friday. Please be aware that staffing is lighter in evenings and weekends so donations outside those hours are only accepted by appointment. Please call 540.434.475 ext. 122 to arrange this.
Thank you for following these guidelines and supporting MRL!