Check Out Procedures & Policies
Your library card enables you to borrow books, magazines, CDs, DVDs, and audiobooks, use the library’s facilities to access the Internet, read or study, and access online resources including downloadable media and research databases. In order to be a more welcoming and equally accessible library for everyone, MRL is proud to be fine-free. This means that you won't be charged for overdue items and that we trust you will return them to our collection when they are due. Fees, however, may apply for lost or damaged items.
- All circulating materials are checked out for two weeks.
- You may borrow a total number of 100 items, which may include a maximum of 10 music CDs, 10 DVDs, and 10 adult Graphic Novels (systemwide).
- In lieu of a library card, a patron may present any of the following 11 proofs of identity required to obtain a library card: a DMV driver’s license, a DMV identification card, a passport, a United-States issued green card, an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), an offender re-entry form, a voter’s registration card that contains a photo, the Office of Refugee Admissions’ letter, Matricula Consular ID Card, Mexican driver's license, and Canadian driver's license. If any of these approved forms of ID are presented, then the individual may check out normally within the 100 item limit. Without a form of ID, a patron may confirm several identifying factors in the record and may check out up to three items.
- Most materials will be automatically renewed twice, unless they are reserved for another library patron. You may also manually renew your materials by phone, in person, or online.
- If an item is unavailable it may be reserved either in person, online, or by phone.
- You will be notified by email when a hold is available. The item will be held for one week before the hold is removed and the item is either sent to the next patron or placed back into circulation.
- Please provide a current email address so we may contact you.
Cardholders may also review their current checkouts and renew items online. Stop by or call any branch to receive your PIN for online account access.