Social Media Policy
Massanutten Regional Library’s social media offerings are intended to create a welcoming and inviting online space where MRL users will find useful and entertaining information. In some forums, users may be able interact with MRL staff and other MRL users. MRL employs social media tools as an important enhancement to communication, collaboration, and information exchange between MRL staff, MRL users, and the public. MRL recognizes that new tools will emerge which have useful application in MRL’s marketing communications efforts. The Director of Advancement must evaluate new social media tools and platforms before they are launched to ensure brand fit, and workflow needs. Any resulting projects and or workflows emerging from any new platform addition must have Advancement oversight and administration.
Social Media Procedures
- The names of pages or accounts should clearly represent MRL as a system.
- No auxiliary group of MRL should create or maintain a social media presence to promote an individual MRL branch or branch programs.
- The Director of Advancement makes decisions regarding new social media outlets and maintenance thereof.
- All social media content, including comments from online users, is reviewed on a regular basis and is subject to being edited or deleted by the Director of Advancement.
- Where possible, each social media page should clearly indicate that it is maintained by MRL and should have MRL contact information prominently displayed.
- Social media pages should link to the MRL’s official website.
- User discussion and contribution on MRL social media sites is subject to the Internet Use Policy where applicable. This shall be clearly indicated on the social media page.
- Social media content shall adhere to applicable laws, regulations, and policies, including all information technology and records management policies.
- Content is subject to public records laws.
- Content shall be managed, stored, and retrieved to comply with open records laws and e-discovery laws and policies.
MRL social media is intended for promotion of MRL services and partnerships only. Feedback and comments which meet our mission are appreciated. The Director of Advancement moderates comments and has the sole discretion to not post or to remove comments, which do not adhere to MRL’s purpose of information exchange and community building. By choosing to comment on MRL social media sites, public users agree to the following:
1. Users may not post comments, tags and images that impinge on another's privacy or that may be considered objectionable or inflammatory. Violations include, but are not limited to:
- off-topic and/or disruptive posts
- commercial promotions or spam
- duplicated posts from the same individual
- threatening language and personal attacks
- private, personal information published without consent
- obscene, sexist, racist or libelous content
- copyright infringement/plagiarized material
- political advocacy
- posts that violate laws or Library policies
2. Users of all ages have the responsibility to protect their privacy and should not post personally identifying information, such as last name, school, age, phone number or address. MRL does not act in place of, or in the absence of, a parent.
3. Persons who repeatedly violate these terms may be barred from further postings.
4. By posting on the Library’s social media sites, you give MRL permission to use your first name, profile picture, and the content of any posting you make without compensation to you or liability on the part of the Library. This permission ends when you delete your posting.
This policy applies to all persons who interact with MRL’s social media platforms.